Thursday, February 23, 2012

Desert Streams

See, I am doing a new thing! 
   Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert
   and streams in the wasteland.

                Isaiah 43:19

Yesterday afternoon, as my son and I were walking along the beach, I saw this picture and thought of that verse.




I apologize for the length between postings...we've been having some desert times around our place. More like "What in the heck is going on God?" times. My family's been put through the wringer lately, as have so many others around us. I KNOW it's because God is up to something amazing and I KNOW it's new, but that's all I KNOW.

My kids have been on a roller coaster ride of emotions, everything from failure and being the victims of bullying to psychological pressure and illness. But see the picture below? That's how they're dealing with it. Head on. Laughing in the face of trials (and sometimes crying) and saying, I Dare You! to the things life's been tossing at us.


There's my son, challenging the ocean - in February - to touch him. This is why our kids are better than their parents. He's having fun and taking it in stride and all I can think is... Damn. I just vacuumed the car and now there's gonna be sand in it.

    Okay, I let him have his fun, but I was seriously saying that in my head.

Another thing that happened, and that paused my postings is that one of my neighbors died in her sleep. She was only in her mid 30's and though I only (and just barely) know one of her daughters, the shock of it all has left an indelible impression.

It reminds me that just like footsteps in the sand, how we relate to one another leaves a mark, but unlike sand, those marks won't be washed away.

Life is short. Don't be afraid to shuffle in the sand awhile.





No comments:

Post a Comment