Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Unlikely Inspiration

"Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord."   Romans 12:11

Sometimes inspiration comes from an unlikely source.

I'm still at the writer's conference, and for the past two days I've been inspired by the determination and drive of four older people. Let me get more specific. One is older (mid-60's), the second is oldish (I'd guess mid-70's) and the other two are just plain old; they're easily well into their 90's.

They have three things in common:

They all love Jesus.

     They're all writers.

          They're all still passionate.

Their vibrancy is striking. They're set apart from the people of my generation and it's not because of the gray hair and wrinkled hands. It's endurance. You can see the marks and lines of hardship on their bodies. You can hear stories of their suffering, and some of them are suffering well beyond my capacity to understand.

But it's not just that, they're still running. They're running the race set before them and still reaching out to others for Christ's sake. They're believing in him until the end, and are fervently pursuing their dreams.


They are zealous and I'm convicted.

Prayer: Dear God, help us. Help our generation and those coming after us to remain zealous for you even when our bodies are tired and weak. Thank you that you remain ever zealous for us. Amen.


1 comment:

  1. Loved this post, Erika. I want to grow up to be just like them. Amen and Amen!

    ReplyDelete