Friday, June 1, 2012

Five Finger Fasting

One great thing about getting older is that you care less about what others think and more about what's really important.

Another great thing is that you begin to lose a little bit of your memory.

Now, I realize most people wouldn't think that's great at all, but I do, because it makes things simple for me. I find that when I struggle to remember something, I become more creative. Like when I start to forget people's names, I begin to focus intently on them and try to find ways of remembering.

That narrowing makes me more focused, and when I focus intently, everything becomes clearer and sharper. Check out what Steve Jobs says about focus:

                                    Yikes! This Fast Company Magazine photo makes Steve look like he's focusing on you.

"That's been one of my mantras - focus and simplicity. Simple can be harder than complex: You have to work hard to get your thinking down to make it simple. But it's worth it in the end because once you get there, you can move mountains."

        Moving mountains.

No one on earth knew better about moving mountains than Jesus. He said that with faith, his followers would be able to move mountains, and some people I care about are in desperate need of a miracle. Because fasting is one way to break through strongholds and obstacles, I've decided to fast for awhile.

In case you're not familiar with it, fasting is when you give up something for a designated time and pray instead of indulging in what you've given up.

Because my memory is poor, I made up a simple trick that's been helpful for me in the past. I just put the initials of the thing or people I'm fasting over on my hand, like this:



This picture represents five families in need of a breakthrough. The "R" on the thumb represents my own family - we've been struggling with various illnesses for over six months. Maybe you need some sort of breakthrough too, and if so, I hope you'll ask God for help.

"...I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:20

No comments:

Post a Comment