Thursday, September 27, 2012

Seasons of Sorrow

I'm thinking about sorrow and sadness this morning.

When we experience sorrow, that deep anguish in our spiritual, physical or emotional life, it's uncomfortable. In my experience, it's like being wrapped in a blanket that you just can't shrug off. It just sticks with you.

I found this verse in the Psalms today:

"I am worn out from my groaning. All night long I flood my bed with weeping and drench my couch with tears. My eyes grow weak with sorrow; they fail because of all my foes." Psalm 6:7

I know how it feels to have "weak" eyes. My eyesight has literally been changed these past few months. Maybe from crying, maybe from reading so much while trying to figure things out, but this weak eye reference really resonates with me.

I have a young friend staying in my home right now. Her eyes are filled with tears because of bad choices her mom is making. These choices are disrupting her entire family's life and are causing grief, and turmoil and tears. She's exhausted and we're exhausted with sorrow for her. Yesterday, my daughter and I pulled our car over on the side of the road to pray over her in her distress. She wasn't in the car with us, but it doesn't matter.

Thank God, we're not helpless as believers. Thank God, that even if the ones we love don't know Him, he hears our prayers on their behalf.

If you believe in God and you are struggling with sorrow right now, I highly recommend the devotional, Streams in the Desert, by L.B. Cowman. I immerse myself in these words of comfort every day. They minister to me, give me hope and remind me of the power of the only one who can truly comfort.



"Shout for joy, you heavens; rejoice, you earth; burst into song, you mountains! For the Lord comforts his people and will have compassion on his afflicted ones." Isaiah 49:13


No comments:

Post a Comment