Friday, April 12, 2013

Hospitality

It seems that almost as soon as I published my last post about the unexpected surprise of seeing "Kim" in my kitchen, she was gone. I'd made it my quest to see that she was loved and felt invited and accepted in my home. The problem is that I didn't see her again that day.

She holed herself away in my daughter's bedroom, and the most I got was an exchange through the bedroom door:

"Kim? Can I get you something to eat? Is there anything you need?"

"No thanks."

That's all; she and my daughter left to shop at the mall and that's the last I heard of her. In the hospitality book, Hospitality, Expecting Surprises, the author says, "Jesus identifies himself so completely with the poor and the needy that their plight becomes his. He feels their pain, their cold, and their thirst and hunger...What the judge deems important, what becomes the deciding factor between life and death, are the mundane, daily-life actions of a humble disciple."

I love those words..."the mundane, daily-life actions."

This girl is needy and because of that, I know Christ identifies with her. She's been bounced around from foster home to foster home because of a family who put their selfish needs before her care and safety.

I may never know if we'll have a positive impact in her life, but I know our prayers are powerful. Pray that she realizes how much Jesus loves her and how much he longs to be her family.

God sets the lonely in families, he leads out the prisoners with singing; but the rebellious live in a sun-scorched land. Psalm 68:6

No comments:

Post a Comment