Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday Follow Ups # 4 - May

Yahoo, the weekend is finally here!

In March, I posted about my children having to take standardized tests for the school year. I know many of your kids are studying for those tests right now. It was my first year homeschooling and I was terribly stressed out.

                                You can read about that here: Testing 1-2-3

If you're in that place and are trying to keep your kids from feeling the same way, I've got a handy little piece of news...

      Their intelligence didn't come from you.

That's what God spoke into my spirit when I was overly worried. Their intelligence doesn't come from you, it's from me.

When I heard that, a huge burden lifted off of me. God is the giver of all things. He's the one who bestows gifts and purpose and smarts. Testing is just a measurement to help us figure out where our child falls on the spectrum. It's a shame that it causes so much chaos, all for the sake of comparing our kids with others.

May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us;
   establish the work of our hands for us,
   yes, establish the work of our hands.
        Psalm 90:17

Taking the burden off of my kids helped greatly and they performed better than I ever expected. We prayed together about it and when all was said and done, Katya, a 9th grader, tested at grade 18 (?) Dania, an 11th grader tested at freshmen college level and Samih, a 5th grader tested as a 7th grader.

   But only in the areas of their strengths - comprehension, reading, writing, etc.

They were a little behind the curve in math, except for Katya. That makes sense because it's their least favorite subject (and mine too).

Everything blooms in it's own time.


    The most important thing we can teach our kids, is how to love God and trust him to get us through the real tests of life.

So relax. Chill. Be still...

    and know that He is God.  Psalm 46:10

May you be blessed with grace and peace this weekend.   Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment