Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Making Adjustments - 3 Ways to Help Yourself!

Anytime we begin a new season or experience life-changing circumstances, adjustments are required. Whether it's having a baby, sending a kid off to college or simply celebrating Christmas, there are things we need to do. It's the same with chronic pain or any other "thing" that causes suffering; we have to adjust accordingly. Listed below are the top three ways we can help ourselves (quickly):

Ask for help! This may seem like a no-brainer, but some women would rather die than ask for help. We live in a "do it yourself" culture and it makes us feel even more outcast and downcast when we can't do for ourselves. I'm one of the most stubborn people I know when it comes to this, but I've been practicing and you know what? My life and relationships are much healthier now that I've broken through this area of pride.

Take a nap! What? Yes, contrary to what others may say, naps aren't just for girls and old people (someone actually just said that to me). Short cat naps of 20 minutes can be just the thing to refresh us and gain hours in return. One time this summer I had to nap in the back seat of my truck just to get through a full day.

                                    A nap a day keeps the pain away! (not really).
             
Remove stress! Some people recommend reducing stress in our lives but I say we must  remove what we can - forever. I know it's easier said than done, but we're in control of our thought lives and have the ability to walk or hobble away from unhealthy things or people that create stress. And at the very least, we have the ability to change the way we react to these things.


By the way, I'm so not stressed out that my Christmas tree is naked except for the garden center flag on it. However, some of my family members are so they'll have to chip in and help me.
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 1 Peter 5:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment