Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Can you encourage your doctor?

By Erika Rizkallah

How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news. Isaiah 52:7

Yesterday, I was able to bring good news to my doctor. Our conversation went something like this:

Him:   Well, hello.

Me:    Hello. How are you?

Him:   I'm doing ok, pretty good I guess.

Me:     Me too.

Him:   What? (huge smile) Really?!

Watching his reaction was fun and far different from the last time I saw him. At my last appointment, he was discouraged by difficult patients and vented a bit. He told me that earlier in the day, he almost quit. Pain management is a tough business and patients can often be depressed and angry. Quite often, anger and blame is directed toward him.

I don't know what I'd do if he quit; he's a fantastic doctor doing a wonderful job helping me manage my pain.

Yesterday was filled with good news for him. It felt awesome for me too - to be able to say, "I feel good."

Of course I still have pain, but when I review the last four weeks I'm more encouraged than discouraged. I spent time in my garden and took great care of my children. I prepared for Hurricane Arthur, maintained my home (with help) and managed to host several families who were vacationing at my house. One night, I even stayed out late at our local carnival and watched the fireworks. It was so different from last July, thank God!


I'd like to pray for us: Heavenly Father, thank you for creating science and medicine. Thank you for placing the call of healing on our doctors. We lift them up to you lord: the surgeons, physicians, P.A.s, nurses and technicians that work together with you for our good. Bless and encourage them as they care for us and deal with the stress of their profession. Amen.

As you go to your appointments this month, is there a doctor, nurse or health care professional you can encourage?
                                                                               I'll be praying for you! ~ Erika





1 comment:

  1. Thank you Erika. This is right on time. My husband has been in the hospital for the past 7 weeks. Now he is in rehab. We have been discouraged by his constant pain. I have been so upset with the medical team. Going forward I will give encouragement to the medical team.

    ReplyDelete