Monday, December 5, 2011

Delighting

You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.   Psalm 16:11

For a long time, I chose my own path of life. I'd think about what I wanted, decide the action necessary to get there and aggressively pursue it. Most often, I'd fail. Somewhere along the way I realized it either wasn't the right thing, or I wasn't equipped to achieve it. Then I'd feel like a fraud, which would produce a sense of shame and embarrassment.

If you fail constantly, as I did, it can be paralyzing and cause you to quit trying to follow your dreams.

That's what happened to me.

I sat down in the middle of the path of life and lamented my situation. "Lord, I do not understand! Your word clearly says, "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."
          Psalm 37:4

Fortunately, God heard my cries and invited me to try planning again, but this time, with Him in mind.

The keyword in that scripture is delight.

My new prayer became, "God, help me delight in you and make what matters to You, matter to me."

Everything changed when I started delighting in him and I've been delighted ever since!

What area of your life would benefit from adding delight?

No comments:

Post a Comment