Friday, December 30, 2011

Planning Love

Okay, so if you haven't figured it out by now, my recent posts have been about planning and goal setting for 2012, with God in mind.

Actually, what we need to do is plan with the mind of God.

What I mean by this is a radical type of planning. What if we took each of our goals for the areas of our lives, be they relational, professional, etc. and pushed them through the filter of love?

In Matthew 22:36-40, the Pharisees approached Jesus (planning to trick him), and asked him this question:

"Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?"
Jesus replied, '"You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments."

Planning and goal setting begins in the heart and mind. We desire to achieve something, change something or pursue a dream based on what's in our hearts and minds. What if before we began, we asked ourselves these two questions:

1.  Is this goal or thing I want to do an expression of love for God and others?
2.  What steps are needed to put my ALL (heart, mind and soul) into this?

I've never planned like this before, but one word's going through my head right now....sacrifice.

I'm going to sacrifice something (within myself) if my filter is based on loving God and others. Let me show you roughly, what it will look like in one specific area of my life. One of my goals for 2012 is to become a published writer.

I know this is what God's created me to do, and we've been working toward it together for a long time... but I've been procrastinating.

In order for me to achieve this goal, I'm going to have to sacrifice my: fear, feelings of incompetence, tendency toward laziness, and every other excuse popping into my mind right now. I'll also have to shift some priorities, change some relationships and restructure my schedule. My next step, which I'll do within the next 36 hours, is to create an action plan.

Whew, that's a lot of freaking work! No wonder I make excuses and say "I'll do it later." I'm not letting another year and all its troubles and distractions prevent me from God's calling.

What's He calling you to do? Got a plan? Afraid of where He might lead you?

Let's try it together anyway!

1 comment:

  1. Bradley instructor, doula, IBCLC. I've begun to think to myself, why just one? Why NOT all three. Each one is a different step in the process of motherhood.

    Bradley instructor: teaching mothers-to-be and fathers-to-be together about their pregnancy and how to prepare for labor and delivery. Nutrition and prenatal relaxation techniques are main focus.

    Doula: Woman helping another woman in the process of childbirth. She is the attentive helper and is meant to attend the mother while the doctor or midwife attends to the baby.

    IBCLC: International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Provides information and support to mother and baby while they adjust to the demands of recovery and benefits of breastfeeding.

    Oh YEAH!

    All these require a level of training, some of which overlaps. My plan of action for this year is to lay out a plan, in writing, of how to attain these goals and in what order. I already know becoming a Bradley instructor is first and the most attainable.

    Yes, this is my "public" announcement. Let's see who else reads it and holds me to it :)

    ReplyDelete