Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Pig Stickers

I got twice as many hits on my blog yesterday so I guess that means there's a lot of Mom Guilt going around. It's always nice to know you're not alone, and that we can encourage one another to fight against it!

The minute I hit the publish button on that post, my cell phone was rang. It was a friend of mine calling to say that she was at her wits end with her kids and she didn't know what to do. It's just like God to help me practice what I preach:)

I didn't even give her a minute to pummel herself, I told her she was doing a great job and then I let her vent.

You know, part of this whole "blame the mother for everything" philosophy goes back to the teaching of Sigmund Freud. Freud believed women suffered from "penis envy" and when females began developing , between the ages of 3 - 5, girls began to realize they didn't have a penis and blamed their mothers for disadvantaging them.

Um.....penis envy is definitely not where the trouble lies. I wish for many things, but that's not one of them. I mostly wish that my son would sit down in class and make an effort in his schoolwork, so I don't keep getting notes from his teachers.

I did get a small lift yesterday when he got home though. He got his Behavior Card back from school (a "special" card for kids with behavior problems) and he got a perfect score. I was so pumped up and relieved, and then I realized.....I'm celebrating a pig sticker.



Wow. I guess this is what it's come down to.....any victory in a mom's life, no matter how small, is worth celebrating.

Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin....Zechariah 4:10

No comments:

Post a Comment