Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Season-ed

I saw it tucked under his arm, and groaned. Then I rolled my eyes at my husband because I knew the exact words we'd exchange.

      Him:  Don't forget to cut the watermelon.

      Me:  Why on earth did you buy one? It's not watermelon season.

      Him:  Just cut the freakin' melon. (head shake and walk out of the kitchen)

So I cut the freakin' melon and just to prove my point, took a bite.

    Yep! I was right as always (about melons at least).

It was absolutely tasteless. It looked just like a watermelon should...

                                                                                                                                       
           ...but it had no flavor because it was out of season! (duh)

                                           not sweet or juicy, just wet

Sometimes we can be like flavorless watermelons because we try to force fruit that hasn't had time to ripen. Time for ripening is critical. Did you know that it takes an apple tree on average, 6 to 15 years before it produces a mature crop? You can fast track it and take a shortcut, but the tree is unstable and the quality of fruit is poor.

Knowing and accepting the season you're in is critical to healthy spiritual and physical growth. This is where I am right now, learning (finally) how to accept where I am and appreciate God's wisdom in it.

  I'm coming out of a season of rest and going into a season of study and learning. I'm also in a season of discipline and preparation.

   My husband's coming out of a season of strength and productivity and into a    season of recovery.

The difference between us is that I know my season and I accept it as where God has me. I don't necessarily like it, but I know better than to try to produce my own fruit. That's how I ended up needing a season of rest in the first place!

My husband, on the other hand, is frustrated daily because he just had surgery and has a long recovery ahead of him.

My challenge to you, is to pray and ask God this simple question: What season am I in?

     And then listen.

          And then let Him be the Lord of your seasons.

If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands, I will send you rain in its season, and the ground will yield its crops and the trees of the field their fruit.  Leviticus 26:3-4


No comments:

Post a Comment