Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Spiritual Breakthroughs

So, my fast - or partial fast - is finally over. Every time I do it, I'm shocked at how much my body craves certain things and how often those cravings come. This was a sugar fast, so I gave up all sugar except for one teaspoon a day in my coffee, and one slice of cake on Thursday to celebrate my daughter turning Sweet 16.

My morning time spent with God is sacred for sure... and sweet - sugar in my coffee makes it so. I've been legalistic in the past during times of fasting, and I was determined not to be a party pooper on this day of celebration.

                                       I didn't eat the marshmallow centerpieces though!

As I mentioned in my Five Finger Fasting post, I was fasting and praying for five specific family groups. I can't even tell you how God worked in those families, but He never ceases to amaze me with his faithfulness. At least two people had much needed spiritual breakthroughs (mine included). I'm not sure of the others because they didn't know I was fasting for them, but I know God will reveal it to me if He so chooses.

The first day, when the sugar cravings kicked in, I swear I was praying for people every 20 minutes. By the end of the ten days, the prayer promptings came less frequently, but I'm pretty sure there was nothing left for me to say by that time.

A normal fast would be not eating anything for a specific period of time - usually 24 hours. That is way too easy for me though, so I chose the sugar because it's the hardest thing for me to give up.

In his excellent book, The Celebration of Discipline, Richard Foster says this:

"More than any other Discipline, fasting reveals the things that control us. This is a wonderful benefit to the true disciple who longs to be transformed into the image of Jesus Christ. We cover up what is inside us with food and other good things, but in fasting these things surface. If pride controls us, it will be revealed almost immediately."

If you've never tried it, I challenge you to try the discipline of fasting and see what God has in store for you.

"While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, "Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them." Acts 13:2

No comments:

Post a Comment