Monday, September 3, 2012

Standing On The Rock


You know it's going to be an interesting day when you find a baby crab wandering around the guest bedroom. My morning started with a scream and a thought: That is the biggest spider I've ever seen! I had to look closely three separate times - from a distance - while I tried to see exactly what it was, and decide if I was going to save it or kill it.

The poor little guy was lost and staring at me with those big crabby eyeballs. So I saved him. And, I might add, that finding a crab on the carpet far from the sea, is distracting and shoots strange thoughts through the brain.

      I still can't figure it out.

I haven't written in awhile because I've been doing some deep thinking, lots of traveling, and tons of praying.

Someone I love is in crisis and I haven't been able to think about much else. My focus has been on getting help and getting through the struggle. And, (at the same time) I've begun my new adventure as a homeschool mom.

Embarking on this journey has been a pilgrimage of sorts.

Last week, I went to Plymouth Rock. We took a field trip because we're studying Colonial America, democracy and the birth of our great nation. I wanted to take the opportunity provided by the upcoming Presidential elections, and teach my kids about God's role in the foundation of our country.

Plymouth is a beautiful little waterfront town in Cape Cod, and a replica ship, The Mayflower II, is docked close by "the rock". With great anticipation we went to check it out and this is what we found:



That's it. That's Plymouth Rock. Underwhelming, isn't it?

Actually, that's only the top third of it, and what's left of the rest is buried under the sand. Originally, it was larger but time and people did some damage to it. The park employee explained that it's now protected by a fence because during the 18th and 19th centuries, people chipped away at it for souvenirs. And they also dragged it around town trying to find a better place for it. During that process it cracked in half, which the townspeople considered a good sign. They thought it represented the splitting off from British rule and they consecrated it.

Personally, the rock reminds me of Jesus. Jesus was dragged around town and broken for our sake. He invites us to chip away at him, to eat and drink and feast on the bread of life.

He is my rock.

In this time of crisis, He's the only thing I can count on. The only steady thing I have and I thank God for Him - ALL of Him. I hope He's your rock too and I hope you cling to Him in times of trouble and simply because... He invites you to.

I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. this bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. John 6:51

Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord, the Lord, is the Rock eternal. Isaiah 26:4


No comments:

Post a Comment