Monday, September 10, 2012

Joy

The joy of the Lord is a strange, and yet wonderful thing.

Have you ever been in one of those situations that seems hopeless? Where if you looked at your life from the perspective of an outsider, you could think of nothing good to say? I'm in just such a place. If one of my friends was experiencing the crap and continual crisis I'm dealing with, I'd say, "Girl, I've got no help to offer. Only God can fix this one."

It's a good thing I'm looking at it from Jesus' perspective. It must be his perspective, because I am filled with joy. Unexplainable, inexplicable joy! At least for right now, and since right now is all any of us can count on, I'll happily take it.

The "Joy of The Lord" is a gift from God. Ignatius of Loyola called these gifts "consolations" and described them as follows: "I call it consolation when an interior movement is aroused in the soul, by which it is inflamed with love of its Creator and Lord...I call consolation every increase in faith, hope and love, and all interior joy that invites and attracts to what is heavenly and to the salvtion of one's soul by filling it with peace and quiet in its Creator and Lord."

Our God is the God of peace and quiet and it's because of Him that even though I'm in crisis, I can say, "It is well with my soul."

I hope your soul is well and that Christ will give you His consolations today!

               The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
                   because the LORD has anointed me
                   to preach good news to the poor.
               He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
                   to proclaim freedom for the captives
                   and release from darkness for the prisoners,
               to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
                   and the day of vengeance of our God,
               to comfort all who mourn,
                   and to provide for those who grieve in Zion -
               to bestow on them a crown of beauty
                   instead of ashes,
               the oil of gladness
                  instead of mourning,
               and a garment of praise
                   instead of a spirit of despair.
               They will be called oaks of righteousness,
                   a planting of the LORD
                   for the display of his spendor.
                              Isaiah 61:1-3
                                  

1 comment:

  1. I am enjoying all of your posts. I love when all of lifes issues are swirling around us, and we wonder how we could feek this strange peace inside, and know that the only possible way it could be there at all is because Jesus has blessed us with it. I often think this is not only because I have been asking for help, but is also the direct result of friends praying specifically for me.

    I am praying for you and your family :)

    ReplyDelete