Thursday, September 20, 2012

Staying Worry Free - Part 2


I hope you were able to splurge on yourself a little yesterday and buy a great journal. As I said in Part 1 of this post, journaling is a great way to measure and track our spiritual progress. I've heard it said over and over that humans can only remember a recent event for 72 hours. After that, the memory fades and the event is stored in our brain and replaced with the new information it's receiving.

In this day and age with the onslaught of media coming from everywhere, it's far too difficult to remember. And spiritual growth can be such a slow process that it's almost imperceptible and truly only visible with the passage of time.

For example, when we go to the doctor for a check-up, what does she do? She looks at our chart. She's able to take a look at our history, note the previous changes in our bodily health, and understand us better because she's written it down. 

In the same way, we can record everything we hear from God, everything he impresses on our minds and in this way, we keep track of our spiritual progress. We examine ourselves:

"Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you - unless, of course, you fail the test?" 2 Corinthians 13:5

After all, the Bible is the written word of God. Because his people took the time to write, we reap the benefits daily. Who knows, maybe people in the future, like our children and descendants will read our own words of faith and receive His comfort and wisdom through the stories of our lives.

Journaling helps us get everything we're feeling on the inside, out. Personally, it helps me  toward my quest for righteousness, tests my heart and helps me make sure I'm living in the faith.

This is the cover of the journal I'm using right now. I will never forget the season I'm in and the reminder that I need to trust God in all things:



Putting your life down on paper can be hard at first, but with practice it feels more natural.

Finally, do your best to push through difficulty and delight in each minute spent in quiet with Him. Even in our worst seasons of life, and in times of his discipline, He's true to his character as our Heavenly Daddy.

"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel and watch over you."
                                                                                                               
                                                              Psalm 32:8

No comments:

Post a Comment