Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Staying Worry Free - Part 1

Do you practice the habit of examining your life?

Almost every day I take a few minutes to write in my journal. I write about whatever: whatever God's impressed upon my mind, daily events, dreams and desires, prayers... My journals date back to when I first believed in Jesus. They go all the way back to 1994.

In them, I can read about my first steps of faith, my struggles, new experiences with prayer and remember the promises that God later fulfilled. And I can praise Him because I'm not the same person I was. There's another benefit as well.

 Journaling helps me to not worry.

Jesus frequently commanded his followers not to worry. He constantly counseled them against fear. That's awesome for those disciples who were literally in the boat or on the mountain with him, but what about us? How can we modern disciples clear the clutter of worry from our minds?

These are the 3 things that help me the most:

  •    I spend daily time in prayer and meditation with my Savior. 
  •    I diligently study the Bible.
  •    I write everything down!

The journals I select often reflect the state of mind I'm in at the time - playful, serene, hopeful - like these...



I have a challenge to you today. Go out and buy yourself a journal that best reflects your current state of mind and take a minute to write out your worries. Literally put them before the Lord because worrying has no benefits.

"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?" Luke 12:25

   See you tomorrow for Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment