Saturday, October 13, 2012

Do Not Worry

This morning I awoke with an unsettled spirit. It's been a difficult week, but this morning had a special edge to it.

I've been praying for two special people who don't know God. They don't have the spirit of Christ in them, because they haven't claimed Christ as Lord and Savior. They don't know his peace or how he changes our hearts and fills us with love because...
                  They just don't. Or won't.

I took a call from one of them at 2:30 this morning and it still feels like a dream.

 "We got into a fight and I called the police. They're on the way."

I got further instructions to call the sheriff's department if I didn't hear back by morning.
                         

                               I haven't heard back yet.

It's fitting then, that today's bible study was about the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42.

Martha was a friend of Jesus, who'd opened her house for him. She was trying to get all the preparations made but her sister Mary, was sitting at his feet, just listening to what he was saying. Frustrated, Martha says, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

Jesus says, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed - or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

In my study Bible, this passage cross references to other stories about disciples dealing with life's concerns. One of those stories has to do with material possessions (Mt 6:25-34) and the other is when they're sinking in a boat during a storm at sea. (Mark 4:38)

Christ's command remains unchanging for all these situations.

       Worry is not allowed for followers of Jesus.

Christ didn't worry in any situation because he always trusted His heavenly father. He considers those who do it, to be people of little faith.

So I'll continue to sit at his feet every day and listen to him - and not worry.

     Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment