Monday, October 22, 2012

Teaching Kids About The Bible

"Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them." Deut 4:9

As Christian parents our greatest responsibility is to help our children get to know and love the God who created them. I love God and I love my kids and I hate to admit it, but I sometimes struggle in my quest to get the two together. 

This wasn't a problem when they were small because they were a captive audience (so to speak). I could read to them, teach Bible verses, pray with them and watch endless Veggie Tales videos. 

This year when I began homeschooling, we started each day by reading the Bible together, and it was ok. They understood it well enough and we had some good discussions, but then I heard an interview with Phil Vischer, the creator of Veggie Tales, talking about his new video series. Phil explained that with Veggie Tales, he was teaching kids how to behave like Christians, but they didn't know about Christianity or the history of our faith. 

His new series, Buck Denver Asks... What's In The Bible?, teaches the entire Old Testament in a funny and engaging way.


I'm not joking. As soon as I heard that interview, I snapped up the entire 9 DVD set, and I'm not ashamed to admit that my kids and I are learning and laughing every morning with puppets.

I've been reading the Bible every day for the past ten years and even I'm learning things I never knew.

I feel good giving them something they can relate to and I know God's getting in there and doing His work in them. 


What a relief! 

Of course, it's just a jumping off point, but it's sparking discussion and reigniting their interest in building a relationship with Him.

Thank you God for creating Phil Vischer:)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment