Friday, March 8, 2013

Telling the truth

Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death. John 8:51

Jesus always told the truth because truth is important to God. This isn't always the case with us. It's easier to lie to one another and avoid conflict. It's much easier to hide our feelings in order to keep the peace.

I have a love/hate relationship with conflict. I love it because when I tell the truth, my conscience is free. I hate it, because when I'm honest and speak truth from my heart, I risk hurting someone else or being hurt myself.

But Jesus was always honest. Imagine that!

He constantly experienced conflict. From all sides, from pharisees and friends. We shouldn't be surprised when we too, are placed in the middle of conflict. In fact, if we expect it and meet it head on, we become skilled and can actually help one another.

The other night a friend called and said, "I need to ask you a question."

I said, "Ok, shoot," but inside I thought Uh Oh, here comes trouble.

She started with, "I think (insert name) feels this way about me. Am I...?"

So I told her the truth. Then I explained, and re-explained and gave five examples and affirmed her. Thankfully, she accepted what I had to say with an open heart and spirit. She ended our conversation by saying, "That's not the person I want to be. I'm going to work on that."

Truth telling is painful but so important! How else can we grow and mature, if we're not being honest with one another?

If you're my true friend, and you love me, you'll tell me the truth. If I'm yours, I'll tell you the truth. And God will bless us both because it's this important to him:

LORD, who may dwell in your sacred tent?
   Who may live on your holy mountain?
The one whose walk is blameless,
   who does what is righteous,
   who speaks the truth from their heart;
whose tongue utters no slander,
   who does no wrong to a neighbor,
   and casts no slur on others;
who despises a vile person
   but honors those who fear the LORD;
who keeps an oath even when it hurts,
   and does not change their mind;
who lends money to the poor without interest;
   who does not accept a bribe against the innocent.

Whoever does these things
   will never be shaken.
                                                  Psalm 15

For more verses on truth telling, check out Proverbs 29:5, Ps 5:6, Ps 34:13, Zec 8:16-17, Eph 4:25.

Have a great weekend and happy truth telling!

No comments:

Post a Comment