Friday, August 8, 2014

Take your mind off your pain

By Erika Rizkallah

One of the hardest things about living with chronic pain, is learning how to take your mind off of it.

When my doctor put me in limbo, he suggested I use tools like mindfulness practice, meditation and biofeedback. I already use those things from time to time so I dutifully nodded my head and picked up my purse.
                                                      Erika had left the building.

You see, when I started to get the gist of his sage wisdom, the whimsical wheels in my head took me directly to the craft store.
                                                      The craft store you ask?

Why yes, the craft store. You see, I've already found a thing that takes my focus off my pain for hours at a time.
                                               Beads! Glorious beads!

I'm enraptured by them, and as I admitted to my writing group the other day, they're also luring me away from my work. So I cleared out a space for them in my closet. Sigh.

Out of sight, out of mind, right?

I had my hands full and was wondering what I should blog about today when all of a sudden... I tripped.

Beads flew everywhere. My beads - my glorious, organized beads were trapped in the fibers of my plush carpet.

You know what else can take your mind off of pain for awhile?

Sorting.


But I didn't. I resisted the urge and thanked God for the marvelous blog topic and beautiful picture for today.

Tell me about you: Do you have a hobby or distraction that helps take your mind off of pain?


No comments:

Post a Comment