Saturday, August 23, 2014

Blame it on the rain: chronic pain and the weather

By Erika Rizkallah

I don't know about you, but my chronic pain is seriously affected by the weather - particularly by humidity or precipitation.

In short, the rain brings pain.

                                                                                 Photo courtesy of Dania Rizkallah

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot I can do but keep my eyes on the sky and prepare for a time of self care. I live in an area known as Hurricane Alley and summer storms are a regular part of life. Drenching rain and muggy mornings are the norm, but the barometric pressure's been wreaking havoc on so many people.

Does weather affect you?

       Have you been plagued with migraines?

Are you taking care of yourself?

Self-care is not the same thing as being self-centered. It's about knowing your limits and making the right choices for your body and spirit. There's nothing worse than being at the end of your rope and snapping at someone you love (trust me, I know.)

My go to items for self-care are: Pain meds, heating pads and a great book to divert my focus.

Here's a link to a handy tool that may help you stay mindful of atmospheric pressure. It's a map of aches and pains and if you explore it, you might also find the "frizz forecast" - a map for your hair!

Do you have any tools that you could share with us? Do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment