Monday, April 20, 2015

Ugh weight gain! Is it time to renew your thinking about it?

I used to be one of those women who could eat anything and never gain a pound. I was the constant envy of friends everywhere. And also the butt (no pun intended) of many jokes and jabs about my weight.

It didn't matter to them that I wasn't healthy, all that mattered was that I could scarf down a dessert or two with no apparent consequences. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy eating junk food at will - I did.

So sad . . . the word did.

But I wasn't healthy. I never worked out (because it hurt too much) but that's also a lack of discipline and is nothing to brag about.

That's changed now. It seems that every new medicine has me packing on the pounds or maybe my body's heading into menopause land. Either way, now I'm busting out of my weekend jeans and find myself having to carefully choose outfits that will hide my fluffy muffin top.

Have I mentioned that usually I love fluffy things and muffins - especially fluffy decorated muffins also known as cupcakes?

The other day I was standing in my closet staring at the many things I can no longer wear when it occurred to me that maybe my weight gain is a sign of health. Instead of lamenting those skinny days gone by, maybe I should celebrate.


Except not with cake!

Ephesians 4:20-24 says: But you did not learn Christ in this way, if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in Him, just as truth is in Jesus, that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.

The truth is, in my old life, I was a glutton. I am a glutton. Now, I have to change the way I eat and move my body so that whether I eat or drink or whatever I do, I do all to the glory of God. (1 Cor 10:31)

Changing the mind about eating habits is not easy, as hundreds of yearly articles in women's magazines shows. But I aim to start this phase of my life as a renewed thinker with a healthy body and spirit.

Now you: Do you have anything you need to renew your thinking about?


No comments:

Post a Comment