Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Do Not Fear

Fear is a normal part of everyday human life. It's also a weapon skillfully used by Satan. Turn on the news, talk shows and commercials and you risk getting swept away by it. Sometimes things my friends post on Facebook even freak me out. Abductions, murder, the failing economy. Kids killing parents and terrorist activity is enough to make me seek isolation and fortify my home.

The other night, I woke at 1:00 a.m. because I'd heard a noise - a bump in the night. Half asleep, I went to see if my son had fallen out of bed, as he does occasionally. He was fast asleep and then I went in my teenage daughter's room. She wasn't there. Sometimes my kids will fall asleep in front of the tv, so I searched the house, but couldn't find her.

I started to panic. Heart racing, I ran to my bedroom and woke my husband. Instantly, he was on his feet and on his way to the gun safe. My mind was spinning with stories of girls like Elizabeth Smart, being abducted from their beds in the night. We were walking toward her bedroom when we heard, "Hey mom? Dad?  What are you doing up?" There she was, book in hand, standing in the hallway. She took one look at our faces and pointed towards her brother's room. "There was no toilet paper in my bathroom and I didn't want to wake you, so I went in his!" I was a mess. Relieved ... but a mess.

In those few short minutes, I'd allowed all the what if... fears of my nightmares to take over. My imagination ran wild with possibilities and scenarios based on news stories being fed to us and my common sense fled. In my panic, I never thought to check the bathrooms.

Jesus was constantly telling His disciples not to fear. He says it's a form of bondage. I'm not brave yet, but I'm working on it.



Because God’s children are human beings—made of flesh and blood—the Son also became flesh and blood. For only as a human being could he die, and only by dying could he break the power of the devil, who had the power of death. Only in this way could he set free all who have lived their lives as slaves to the fear of dying.
  

Hebrews 2:14-15

New Living Translation (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment