Thursday, January 12, 2012

Gentleness

How do you teach someone to be gentle?

I don't notice gentleness until it's contrasted by aggression, as in, "Be gentle sweetie, don't pull the doggy's tail!"

That was really all I taught  and now, as I see and hear the words of aggression used by my kids in our home, and what they're picking up from others in school, I'm at a loss.

God's been talking to me about gentleness for the past couple of months, and I'm learning how to gentle down, but how do you teach someone else? How.... when kids are bullied verbally and emotionally and getting their faces smashed in by other kids? How does it transition from school to home and from home back out to the community?

This is valuable to God!

     It's a quality of the One I follow:

Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  Matt 11:29

By the meekness and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you - I, Paul, who am "timid" when face to face with you, but "bold" when away!  2 Cor 10:1

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Gal 5:23

Let your gentleness be evident to all, the Lord is near.  Php 4:5

Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Col 3:12

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.  1 Ti 6:11

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 1 Pe 3:15

Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. 1 Peter 3:3-4

Oh yes, this is of great worth to God.

But how do you teach it?


1 comment:

  1. This post brought me to reflect on my life with raising my kids, and now loving my 6 grankids. Life can be so wrenching, situations can seem so dominating, as if there is no solution. As I reflected I revisited times that were so dark. When words from my mouth reflected how weak my faith was in the middle of blatent disrespect. (I am in no way saying this is where you are, but this is where my thoughts took me.) At that time I was seekng God with all I knew how to seek him. My prayer life was all from my head, I was extremely legalistic, I had a lot in my head, but it hadn't gotten to my heart much at all. God showed me in this time of reflection just how Great how Mighty is the God we serve.
    Definition TEACH:
       [teech] Show IPA verb, taught, teach·ing, noun
    verb (used with object)
    1. to impart knowledge of or skill in; give instruction in.
    2. to impart knowledge or skill to; give instruction.

    Just because we are taught something, doesn't mean we get it right away. Over a period of time as we reflect on what we see, we make choices as to what we want to do with what we have been imparted with. I stand in awe of where He has brought my family. Be an open vessel for His Spirit to flow. When they saw Him work through a mess like me, they saw HIM!! What humbles me the most is all the blessings that have come from facing the truth of who I am in HIM, compared to what I really believe. And it just keeps going...............

    They will watch where God takes you and that will help them recall what you are imparting to them. Then they will decide what they want to do with it. You are teaching it.......... praying for the gentlness of the Spirit to be all over you. Don't forget to breath. = )

    ReplyDelete