Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Like a River

More than anything else in my life, I hate feeling a sense of regret.

I hate it so much, I go out of my way to erase or conquer the stirrings of it. I've no idea why it's such a force of internal motivation; maybe it's just the way God's wired me.

It's beginning to stir within me again and that's not good news. It means God's convicted me of something and I've not gotten to it.

You wouldn't know to look at me, but I'm an expert procrastinator.

Procrastination is my default defense mechanism, but dang it, He can see into my heart! So, when I was reading my Bible this morning, a totally unrelated passage lead me to this scripture...

If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your righteousness like the waves of the sea. Isaiah 48:18

     If only...  Would have been...

             Big, deep sigh.

Here's the internal conversation:

 Whew! It's a good thing I pay attention to your commands God (insert smug smile).

 Really? Do you really? or do you just think about it?

 Of course I do. I always do.... Except for that one thing.       Crap.

I had to look up the phrase "Peace like a river" because my argument with God continued and I'd decided that since I didn't know what it was,  I didn't need it anyway. According to Google, it's both a book title and a song.

According to the Bible, a river is an image of Abundance. Peace is completeness, safety in body, health and prosperity.



This is what the LORD says - your redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: I am the LORD your God who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way you should go.  Isaiah 48:17

     I'm going to tackle that one thing.

         How about you? Is there anything that needs your attention?


No comments:

Post a Comment