Monday, January 30, 2012

Just a #

It seems like lately I've been bombarded with numbers that are supposed to mean something to me... but they don't.

In the U.S. (and maybe other places) we use lots of numbers as a way to measure people. We score them to assess whatever needs assessing. Heck, even when a baby is born, one of the first things we do is give it a test and a score! In the last two weeks, members of my family and I have been judged by:

I.Q. Score
Credit Ratings
PSAT Scores
Test Scores

             ....and more



Today my son stayed home from school sick and I heard, "He's not sick. There's no temperature."  (The number on the thermometer may have been low but the strep test said, yes - he is in fact, sick. At least that's what I think it'd say if a cotton swab could talk back.)

I wonder if other factors even matter anymore. There are better ways to measure qualities of people, or intelligence or worth. At least Jesus values differently.

          Jesus values One.

Each one.

What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one what wandered off? And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost.

Whenever you begin to wonder about your value here on earth, remember that you're priceless in your  Heavenly Father's eyes!



No comments:

Post a Comment