Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path. Psalm 119:105



Do you take time to read the Bible every day?

          If not, why?

The most common excuse I hear from women is, "I don't have time."

Yes you do. You have time, and plenty of it. 

Time is the one thing we have that's the same for everyone. We've all got 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week, and 365 days in a year. You have the same amount of time as President Obama, Kim Kardashian and Jesus Christ.

Jesus had the same 24 hours in a day with which to work, serve and love.

And even when he was a boy, he studied scripture. At 12, his parents found him in the temple sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking questions. (Luke 2:41-52) They were amazed at his understanding and knowledge!

It's easy to take light for granted, because it's all around us. We've got the sun and electricity that allows us to be productive anytime we want, even when it's dark. The light of Christ is different. It illuminates the soul.

The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple. Psalm 119:130

So often we complain about not knowing what God wants us to do. We ask, "What's my next step God? How can I serve you better God? What's in store for my future God?" and yet we don't make time to read and pray over his word.

My challenge to you is this: 10 minutes a day. 

Devote 10 minutes a day to reading your Bible and asking God to give you wisdom and understanding about what you're reading. If you just do that every day, at the end of a year, you'd have spent 3,650 minutes focusing on God's word. That's a great start!

Write down a verse on an index card and stick it in your back pocket or purse so you can take it with you everywhere. Read it in traffic, in a long line, or in the bathroom if you have to. I guarantee God will shine his light on your spirit and direct your path.


Being in the dark sucks.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.  John 1:1-5


1 comment:

  1. Great idea, Erika. Just 10 minutes- an attainable goal that will bring instant gratification. I have found myself making more time by reading just a few verses in the morning. I've also been able to hear Him by praying, "Please reveal yourself to me today," rather than, "Help me" or "Get me out of this mess."

    And talk about perspective... take a look at what my day was like today: http://2-miracles.blogspot.com/2012/02/one-of-those-days.html

    :) Katie

    ReplyDelete