Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Treasure

You've probably heard a line from a pastor or motivational speaker that goes something like this:

"I could take a look at your calendar or bank statement and tell how you spend your time, talent and treasure."

This is usually followed by a sermon on tithing or generosity, and an assertion that Jesus spent a lot of time talking about money. Ordinarily, this scripture (or a portion thereof) follows:

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21

In the first part of this scripture, a very wealthy young ruler (think Donald Trump's son) was trying to suck up to Jesus. Jesus responded by telling him that if he wanted to be perfect, he should sell his possessions and give to the poor. That advice came with an invitation: "Then come, follow me."

Ok, I admit. I don't really know if the guy was trying to suck up or what, but here's the thing...if you're going to approach Jesus by asking him what you need to do, and then brag about what you're already doing, be prepared for a smackdown, because he can see into your heart.

That's right.

He knows what your motives are and he knows exactly what you're hanging onto.

A calendar or bank statement isn't the best measurement tool for values, but, as Jesus knew, the heart and the mouth are. In that passage, Jesus was talking about where the man's treasure was stored.

If anyone looked at my checkbook, they'd commit me to the Girl Scout Cookie Rehabilitation Center because it looks like I clearly have a problem with flour, butter and sugar. I made two of the most adorable Girl Scouts I've ever seen, really happy with my 26 box order.

I've got big plans for these cookies and Lord knows, I'll be eating some myself.

The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. Luke 6:45










No comments:

Post a Comment