Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Still

Today I  want to highlight the way in which God answers our prayers, because... he is SO awesome!

A couple of nights ago, my husband and I got into an "animated discussion" (argument) about something. Basically, he was communicating a need to me indirectly; he was saying one thing, but inside he was feeling exactly the opposite. He got angry because I couldn't read his mind.

I got mad that he thought I could.

We were unable to resolve the issue and went to bed with bad feelings. Although the Bible tells us not to go to bed angry and let the devil get a foothold, if you don't read the Bible, you're not going to know that.

Anyway, the argument was the first thing on my mind when I woke up and I prayed all morning that he wouldn't stay bitter. My prayer went something like this:

Heavenly Father, Thank you for my husband and for everything he does for us. Help my heart to remain soft and to not be filled with indignation. Help us forgive one another as you've forgiven us. Get between us in this argument. Vengeance is yours alone. Help me to not seek vindication - fight for me.

I prayed that prayer for about two hours, while my husband got up, dressed for work and left without kissing me or saying goodbye.

A minute or so after finishing the part about forgiveness, my cell phone rang. It was my husband.

I answered in a kind manner, as if we weren't even arguing and he said, "How are you?"

"I'm fine."

"Ok. God told me that I needed to forgive you."

"I'm listening."

******

WHAT?! Are you kidding me?

There are so many amazing things about the conversation that followed and the love with which we came to agreement. I realized later, that at one point, I had the ability to control the entire conversation and aftermath. If I'd let pride sneak in when he said, "God told me that I needed to forgive YOU," and tried to vindicate myself, the result would've been catastrophic and he wouldn't have heard how I felt.

But I didn't take the bait! I didn't let myself become prideful, bitter or needy.


Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.   Psalm 46:10

1 comment:

  1. ooh, good for you, God gave you the opportunity, through prayer, to petition Him, and He answered mightily. I will remember this post!

    ReplyDelete