Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Happy belated Easter!

The beautiful new background is courtesy of my friend Lisa. It's easier on the eyes and quite purpleicious. Thank you Lisa!

Please pardon my absence for this past week or so...Our family planned a short getaway for Spring Break to Gatlinburg and Nashville, Tennessee. After a few days in Gatlinburg, my husband decided he didn't want to see anymore rednecks, so instead of Nashville, we went to Asheville.

Asheville is an amazing little town tucked away in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The main attraction for us is The Biltmore, and we stay at an inn built on the estate grounds.



The Biltmore is one of my favorite places because whenever I go, I see God in different ways. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment...


I could wander on the paths and hidden trails forever.


I couldn't take a picture of the entire part of this garden, but over 70,000 tulips were planted for this spring alone!


The Biltmore Conservatory: Filled with flowers and plants from around the world AKA my dream home.

One of the most amazing things about it is the sense of peace I feel all over the estate. George Vanderbilt built the place as a retreat place from New York and for his sick mother. He felt the air was better in the mountains and wanted a place for her to rest and heal.

Here's another amazing fact: He and his architects not only built it for the use of his family, but for others. The entire property was nothing but pastureland. Over 3 million trees were planted and each and every pathway and detail was to give future visitors a sense of delight and rest.

The men who created the gardens and planted the trees didn't even live to see their vision in its fullness. It was created for others to enjoy, and the town and it's people were literally changed and blessed as a result. It reminds me of this scripture passage:

"Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:4

Has God given you a vision to be used not only for yourself, but for others?

No comments:

Post a Comment