Tuesday, June 19, 2012

God Cultivates

The other day I went to the doctor with another unexplained medical problem. She said I could be a case study, and then put me on an antibiotic and a steroid. Steroids and I do not get along well because they make me feel angry.

One time, a long time ago, I punched someone in the face.

The doctor calmly explained that the medicine was necessary but she'd give me the kind that tapered off gradually. And, because I knew how they were going to make me feel, it would be easier to counsel myself.

Not so much.  I feel like this...



This is not a good thing for the people I love, so I'm hiding in my room and staying out of everyone's way. In my quiet time this morning, I stumbled across this verse:

"Listen to me; listen as I plead! Does a farmer always plow and never sow? Is he forever cultivating the soil and never planting it? Does he not finally plant his seeds for dill, cummin, wheat, barley, and spelt, each in its own section of his land? The farmer knows just what to do, for God has given him understanding. He doesn't thresh all his crops the same way. A heavy sledge is never used on dill; rather it is beaten with a light stick. A threshing wheel is never rolled on cummin; instead, it is beaten softly with a flail. Bread grain is easily crushed, so he doesn't keep on pounding it. He threshes it under the wheels of a cart, but he doesn't pulverize it. The Lord Almighty is a wonderful teacher, and he gives the farmer great wisdom." Isaiah 28:23-28

God knows just how much threshing, sledging, beating and pounding we must endure before he plants just the right kind of seeds in our lives. He has the perfect plan for each of us, and the fruit of our lives will nourish others when the time is right.

If you're suffering through difficulty right now, take heart. There's reason and purpose behind it. My Bible explains the passage this way:

"The farmer uses special tools to plant and harvest tender herbs so he will not destroy them. He takes into account how fragile they are. In the same way God takes all our individual circumstances and weaknesses into account and deals with each of us sensitively. We should follow his example when we deal with others. Different people require different treatment. Be sensitive to the needs of those around you and the special treatment they may need."

I'm thankful for the wise counsel in the Bible. I will wait patiently for his harvest and promise not to punch or pulverize anyone else today.



No comments:

Post a Comment