Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Long Road

"Then they asked each other, "Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?" Luke 24:32

Before we have a story that's worth telling, we sometimes have to walk a long, hard road. 

I love the story in Luke 24 about Jesus appearing to two downcast believers who were walking to Emmaus. They were filled with grief over his death and were talking when he came up beside them. They didn't realize who it was, and he joined them in their walk and explained what the Scriptures said about him.

My family and I have been walking a long hard road. For the last two months we've grieved, worried, prayed and praised God for all we've learned and experienced, and I've hardly been able to write.

I didn't know how to talk about it here, or if it was something I should share while we're still in the thick of it. But our stories shape and change us, and I've changed as a result. If I can't write about it, I might as well stop writing at all, and that's not going to happen.

One of my children has been suffering with depression and anxiety that's so severe, medical intervention was necessary. It's been extremely difficult, and I'm still praying about what to tell. I trust that since Jesus has been walking along the road with us, He'll guide me and help shape my stories. Because I want to honor my child, I won't share any personal details unless I get permission.  The stories I tell will be my own, and from the perspective of a parent.

Here is what I want you to know right now, especially for anyone who has loved ones struggling with depression or anxiety or if you are suffering yourself:

 Christ is with you.

He sees your downcast spirit and will never leave your side. You may not be able to see him right now through the difficulty and darkness, but make no mistake, He is there!


          Shout for joy, O heavens;
               rejoice, O earth;
               burst into song, O mountains!
           For the Lord comforts his people
               and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.
                                        Isaiah 49:13

No comments:

Post a Comment