Monday, September 17, 2012

Trust Jesus

This morning in my quiet time, I read Luke 5:1-11: Jesus Provides A Miraculous Catch of Fish.

In this account, Jesus is standing on the shore of the Sea of Galilee and people were crowding around him, listening to the word of God. Simon Peter, James and John were there washing out their nets after a long, unsuccessful night at work. Jesus asked Peter to take him out in the water and he taught the people from the boat.

When he was done, he asked Peter to go out farther, into the deep water, and let down the nets for a catch. Here's what Peter said, "Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets."

I can only imagine what was running through Peter's mind. I bet it went something like this:

   Dang it, I just freaking cleaned all these nets, man!
         This is useless and I'm exhausted, what a waste of time.
               Go back to work? After I've been out all night with no luck?
                     
However, what Peter said was, "But because you say so..."

They caught and hauled in so many fish that their boats began to sink. "When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!"

If my kids were there they'd have said, "Oooh Peter, you just got owned!"

Peter had the right response. He was obedient to Jesus even though He didn't know the outcome.

I'm having the same kind of experience while homeschooling my kids. When my daughter first asked me if I'd do it, I told her I couldn't because she was already smarter than me.

When she came again and said, "Mom, I don't want to be tempted by drugs, alcohol and sex and DO NOT want to go to traditional High School, I began to understand that this wasn't entirely her idea - God was in it.

Despite all my reservations and feelings of inability, I'm already able to see his miracles. I've already fallen on my knees a few times in gratitude.

When God calls us to do something, He will equip us and provide all that we need for success. He cares about our every day needs so we can trust him completely to come through for us.

What about you? Is there something you need to trust Him for today?

I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free. 
                                                                               Psalm 119:32



No comments:

Post a Comment