Friday, January 11, 2013

Love and Hate

Happy New Year! That was so 11 days ago, but I haven't taken my Christmas tree down so it still feels newish to me.

There are so many things I love about starting a new year. These are my top three:

# 1  I'm one of those people who thrives on change and with a new year, comes
       fresh ideas, goals and plans. I love planning.

# 2  I love a blank calendar, and I love filling up a blank calendar with things
       I love to do.

# 3  I love examining myself and making those much needed personal changes.

I love # 3 so much that I spend at least four weeks - two at the end of the previous year, and two at the beginning of a new one - thinking about changes I'd like to make.

Do you know what I realized about myself?

That in my mind, I categorize things (not people) into areas of love and hate. For example:

I love chocolate. I hate Walmart. I love my dog. I hate walking my dog. I love my kids. I hate picking up after my kids. You may ask why it matters that I love chocolate and hate Walmart and here's the reason:

This love/hate relationship is a stronghold in my mind and I spend more time focusing on doing what I love (eating chocolate) than doing what I hate (entering Walmart). Incidentally, I know I could stop eating chocolate and shop elsewhere, and I do.

I hardly ever actually go to Walmart. It's just the vehicle that's helped me realize I attach emotions to things, places and tasks. Love and hate are powerful emotions. I've been doing it subconsciously for so long, that I find myself delaying and procrastinating on chores and tasks that are important.

So...

One of my goals for 2013 is to remain neutral to the mundane chores and tasks of life because I know it will make me a better person for the people in my life.

I love my people. 

How about you? Are there any changes you plan to make in 2013?

No comments:

Post a Comment