Thursday, January 17, 2013

The way of joy

 What does it mean to be joyful? How do we become people full of delight?

I came across this verse this morning and it seemed clear to me, so I wanted to share it with you.

"To this John replied, "A person can receive only what is given them from heaven."
                                                                                          John 3:27

John the Baptist was talking to his disciples because an argument broke out between them and "a certain Jew" (troublemaker) about ceremonial washing. His disciples were complaining that the man he'd testified about - Jesus - was baptizing and "everyone is going to him."

It seems as though there was some spiritual jealousy on the part of the disciples. John's response was wise. He said, "I am not the Messiah but am sent ahead of him." He went on to explain, "The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete."

John had finished his mission. He knew he'd successfully performed the task God had given him. He'd pointed the way to Christ. In fact, even after Jesus began his ministry, John continued to baptize and point people to Christ. He did this until his death.

We too can be filled with joy when we reject spiritual jealousy and learn to be happy with whatever work God gives us.

A person can receive only what is given them from heaven.

I'm going to make this my goal and work hard to attend to the work He's set before me.

       Want to join me?

1 comment:

  1. Amen and amen. We always want what somebody else has even spiritual gifts and callings. I want to find joy in what He has for me today. I'm with ya. Girl, we battle many of the same demons!

    ReplyDelete