Tuesday, May 28, 2013

It cuts like a knife

I hope everyone had a relaxing Memorial Day weekend, and if you've served our country in any way, THANK YOU. I thought about your sacrifice and Christ's sacrifice all weekend.

One of the easiest ways to get unstuck, is to make sure you're using the right tools for the job. I'm reminded of this because I just finished making a meal for a sick friend in my church.  My husband is the cook in our family and I don't like it, except when I can help someone in need. Plus, he enjoys it and is so much better at it than I am. I think, Why bother? I mean, it's kind of a pain - all that chopping, and dicing and mincing.

It annoys me because it takes so much work on the front end and is gone in minutes. That was until these...


A few months ago, my husband bought these fancy schmancy chef knives. He'd whip open the box and say, "Look at my knives. They're from Japan. They're super sharp and some of the best you can buy." Then he'd tell me how much they cost and I'd think, Wow, are you so lame that you need to brag about cutlery? Of course, I never said it out loud, because well...he's got knives.

One day, when he was out, I took the precious knives and used them to cut up some vegetables for dinner.

          Oh. My. Lord.

These things are amazing. They're phenomenal. They can slice through an unpeeled banana like butter! Really, I became a slicing maniac. I even called my kids down to the kitchen, "Hey you guys, watch this!"

      Slice, Slice, Slice. Chop.

I was so tempted to go Ginsu and slice through a can, but that would be wrong.

Suddenly, I didn't mind cooking so much. I have to admit, I became like an addict. Whenever I'd cook I'd start with my old knives and immediately start thinking about the ones that could really meet my needs. I'd secretly take the box down, lift up the black lid and clean them up neatly afterward so he wouldn't notice. Mine. All mine! All other knives paled in comparison, they felt like saws in my hand.

He finally learned my secret the next time he bragged. I couldn't help it, I bragged more: "I know! They're awesome and I use them all the time!" He was not amused, because what I didn't know is that you're supposed to use a special tool to clean them because they can take a finger off.

Oops!

Anyway, I mention the knives because sometimes faithfully reading the Bible isn't easy. The wrong one can feel unwieldy in your hands, but when you find the right one for the job, look out...you become a Bible reading maniac!

So, try to find one that speaks to you personally and wherever you are in life. I've got study bibles, an archeological bible, a women's bible and even, a waterproof bible. God's people know his word, and after all...


 the most expensive sacrifice in history was the one made by Jesus Christ.

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
                                                                                                             Hebrews 4:12

No comments:

Post a Comment