Friday, November 8, 2013

Tracking Pain Triggers

We chronic pain sufferers are (for the most part) tuned into our bodies. However, we can spend so much time protecting ourselves and trying to prevent pain, that we neglect to identify our triggers. Knowing what triggers a flare, is important to self care and increases the quality of our life.

According to the Mayo Clinic's website, "symptoms can begin after a physical trauma, surgery, infection or significant psychological stress." Sometimes, there's no reason at all, symptoms simply accumulate over time. 

               My body was perfectly positioned for devastation. 

I'd had a hysterectomy, chronic recurrent sinus infections, serious psychological stress and a minor car "incident" in the course of two years. But it was the car incident that sparked the disease.
                         
Paying attention to our bodies is critical for understanding what causes pain flares. This requires us to slow down and listen to what our body is trying to say. It's easier said than done, but I'll share some of my triggers and hope it helps you. I set myself up for a flare whenever I....

             Carry or lift anything over 8 pounds
             Sit too long
             Crane my neck
             Carry a purse on my shoulder
             Do too much
             Run or jump*
             Allow stress to take over
             Hunch my shoulders
             
             And so far, the most surprising trigger is...a sunny day.


                                                                                                        photo courtesy Dania Rizkallah

I actually feel better on cloudy and rainy days!

Do you know what your triggers are? If not, try tracking your pain level and activities for seven days and see if you get a spark.
                                                                       He is faithful and wonderful!



No comments:

Post a Comment