Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Two Powerful Enemies of Chronic Pain Sufferers

By now, it's widely known that there's a link between psychological stress and pain. In fact, in the treatment of many diseases and disorders, doctors advise us to "reduce our stress levels." I've been told to do this on more than one occasion, and I always think, That's a great idea doctor. Why don't you come live in my world and show me how it works?

For me, stress just IS.

I've simplified, decluttered, and reduced my activities as much as I can. If I did any more, I'd end up a hermit. But until someone takes away people, stress is going to stay. Because the source of my stress is people.

However, I learned a long time ago, that there are some things I can do. I can change myself and how I react to people. If you suffer chronic pain like I do,  two powerful enemies are...
                             
                                               People Pleasing and Perfectionism

It's hard to change these deeply ingrained characteristics, but it's the best thing for us. We can help ourselves emotionally, mentally and physically by getting rid of them. So how do you know if you're a perfectionist or people pleaser? Take note of what sets you off, freaks you out or frustrates you.

                     (Hint: Deep sighs, growls of frustration and snappy sassiness are good clues.)

Yesterday, I was at the optometrist with my daughter, Katya. During the eye exam, the doctor asked her to read the letters on the wall, she sputtered, grunted and sighed. The doctor told her to just, "do your best" while I snickered in the corner. Finally I stopped the doctor and told her she was dealing with a perfectionist. Then I snapped a picture...


So, if you can't stand bombing an eye exam and you need to say, "yes" to everyone at the expense of yourself, you may be aiding your true enemy. 

How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? Psalm 13:2

                 So tell me...are you a people pleaser, perfectionist or both?

                                                                                              He is faithful and wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment