Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Think you may have Restless Leg Syndrome?

Earlier this afternoon, I had a skin biopsy done. My neurologist is testing to see if I have SFN or Small Fiber Neuropathy. I mention this because he explained that many women diagnosed with Fibromyalgia actually have SFN. Misdiagnosis is common.

Like Fibromyalgia, SFN symptoms also include tingling, numbness and pain. However, SFN can only be diagnosed with specialized testing. Test number two (the one I had today)  involves "just a small needle poke"to numb the surface and, according to the brochure, "a band-aid" after the procedure is done.

                                                                                       Two out of the three "band-aids."
They also said it wouldn't hurt afterward.  Lies...all lies.

The funny thing, is that this all started because of restless legs. For the past five years I've struggled with jumpy legs, but a couple of months ago they started doing funny things when I went to bed. They began to twitch and lift up on their own. So I went to my doctor and told him. That's when he referred me to a neurologist.

Do you have "jumpy" or "twitchy" legs?

Do you think you have Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS)?

                              Are you embarrassed by this?

If so, I urge you be brave and make an appointment to talk to your doctor about it. There are good medicines for RLS, but you don't want to leave any stone unturned when it comes to your health. And you definitely don't want to be a self-diagnoser like me and miss something.

Technology is improving medicine every day, but it's up to us to push through the painful trials and persevere.

I'll be praying for you as you walk/hobble/crawl on your path of pain.

Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:4



No comments:

Post a Comment